Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Happy Happy Joyful

"Happy Rhodes is an enigma. This is according to the Music Industry, which has never been able to pigeon-hole her into any category. Her music is otherworldly yet substantial and her 4-octave voice has a haunting familiarity to it. Most listeners find her work difficult to describe and yet she incites an almost unheard of devotion among her fans. She goes from Kate Bush highs to David Bowie lows and you find yourself being beckoned to follow her into her futuristic worlds." This is a quote from a Happy Rhodes-biography. I'd never heard of her, but when I got to this marvellous fan page, I got hooked. Her deep voice is haunting indeed. It reminds me of a slightly more sane Diamanda Galas. Happy recorded a great X-mas song, plus a very atmospherical track that's also very suitable for these dark days.

1 comments:

Erik said...

Oooh, I'm not too sure how I feel about 'Holy Night'... She's very serious, isn't she? Isn't x-mas supposed to be fun?

Well, maybe this song will grow on me...